- 1 small rice bowl Thailand Rice Flour
- 3 lbs Chinese turnip, grated and cooked
- Pork, cooked and chopped
- 1 Chinese sausage, cooked and sliced
- 2 teaspoons MSG (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cold water
- 4 teaspoons Holland potato starch
- Pour cooked turnip into a colander. Keep drained water.
- Place cooked turnip into a mixing bowl.
- Add MSG (optional) into cooked turnip. Stir.
- Add salt. Stir.
- Add rice flour and drained turnip water into cooked turnip.
Do not pour the rice flour and water into cooked turnip all at once; slowly pour a mix of both ingredients into cooked turnip. Stir until cooked turnip thickens.
- Add pork and Chinese sausage; other types of meat could be used as additions/alternatives. Stir.
- Add potato starch. Stir.
- Place entire mixture into a disposable aluminum pan.
- Place a metal steam rack in a wok.
- Add water into wok until water level reaches metal steam rack’s top level. Place wok cover over wok.
- Heat water until it starts to bubble.
- Place mixture on top of metal steam rack. Place wok cover over wok.
- Let mixture steam for one hour. Make sure the water level is maintained at metal steam rack’s top level throughout the whole steaming process. Add water if needed.
- Stick chopsticks into center of steamed turnip cake.
If chopsticks come out clean, it is ready.
- Let steamed turnip cake cool and harden.